One year ago today I did a doodle on a post-it note and sent it out for the world to see.
I created a website purely as a excuse to draw more. As early as I can remember I always had a pencil in my hand, even in preschool I always viewed myself as a artist.
But as the years go by I found myself drawing less and less. Although I have a highly creative job as a animator, I do it all solely on the computer. Pushing pencils turned into pushing pixels.
I needed to find a reason to draw everyday. Knowing I wouldn't have time to draw big, detail masterpieces everyday - I looked at a stack of post-its sitting on my desk and thought 'Why not?!' Still though, I know me! I start off with good intentions but life can get in the way. So I needed to be held accountable for my actions. Thats when the idea of a website popped into my head. If you announce to the world that you will be creating a doodle a day, - then you can't back down. People will be expecting that new drawing everyday.
How do I announce this promise to the public, by calling it --------- The Daily Post-it
Heres just a few:
- My daughter and I walking the streets, putting up post-its all over San Fran advertising the website.
- Being asked to participate in a couple of Art Fundraisers for worthy causes. (someone actually bought a post-it note for $60 dollars!)
- Over 1000 followers on Twitter
- Handing out some post-its at Comic Con this year and actually having artists that I admire say 'Your the Post-it Guy?! I follow you!!'
- A fan who works for 3M, makers of Post-it, sent me a huge box of post-its
I'm looking forward to what the new year brings. I still have a couple of goals and you guessed it - I feel if I mention them here then you all will hold me accountable.
1) Publish a Daily Post-it book
2) Draw more news related items (i've gotten lazy lately and done mostly random doodles)
3) Less drawings of faces, be more creative! (This last one is for you Austin! Thanks for keeping me honest)
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the support!
Lastly, thank you to my daughter Autumn Ruth for taking such a beautiful pic above. Click on her name to see some of her amazing photographs